Thursday, July 28, 2011

"It's like being hung over"

So many times I am asked how it feels to have MS.
So many times I answer that it changes day to day. Finding the perfect words is not easy some days.
Have you ever tried to explain to a child what love is? Why the love that you have for your children is different then the way you love your spouse? That's what it's like to explain a feeling that changes everyday.

A few months ago Mark and I signed up to do the MS Walk in support of the Calgary Chapter of the MS Society. I have been avoiding situations where other fellow MS'ers are near not of fear but more of a sense or realisation.

As you know, I am very open with "My" MS but seeing and hearing of others is just something that I have struggled with.

It was nice to see other patients that are still successful 10, 20, 50 years later but just like anything, there are those that struggle 5 years after diagnosis. I don't like to get emotional and I don't like to cry. I think this is the first time blogging that I am very emotional.

As expected, the MS Walk has patients at all stages of MS. Many of them were walking with poles or not walking but wheeling. I am not afraid of "my" future MS. I welcome the challenge and hope that I will be a lucky one but it is very hard to see that some have succumbed to the horrible symptoms that MS can do to a body. Maybe these aren't the correct words. They themselves have not succumbed but their body's have. They did not choose this.

So, I avoid a situation where I feel like I am the one giving the look that some give me at times. Pity, sadness, awkwardness. I don't think it's something you can help or stop. It's human nature. I aways respond to the look with "It's OK!, it's not my death sentence!"

Where am I going with this? Well, I do not often visit the MS Society website but I did yesterday.
There is a great short video called "The faces of MS" and one gentleman describes the feeling of MS so perfectly. I wish they would be my words...but they are his and I want you to hear them.

I tried to load the video to my site but I can't figure it out!

Click here! Faces of MS

Now to think of something else for my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment