Wednesday, December 23, 2009

One test down!

I have not been excited and nervous like I was for my ultrasound yesterday in a very long time!

It did in fact take an hour and was not what I expected at all!

Genie (my technician) took images of my neck on both sides but the way it works is like this...
I had to take deep breaths as well as push like I was trying to ... poo!
The reason for this is that it would usually expand the veins and let blood flow faster.

The vein on the right side of my neck is completely collapsed from the base line where my collar bones starts all the way up to the base of my ear. Right below my ear they could actually see the blood pooling, turning around and going back up to the brain. I pushed like I was in labour - ready to passed out and still nothing.

The left side is also collapsed but this one does sneak some blood through but only with deep breaths and minor pushing.

They also did an ultrasound on my eyes. The weirdest feeling ever!
Think about it...warm jelly on the outside of your eye, a hard probe pushing into your eye and hearing a strange knocking...Just didn't feel right!
This was done to also see if the veins leading to the back of the eye were functioning. Mine Are!

This all indicates the same findings that Dr. Zamboni discovered!

What happens now?
The way that Dr. Steed explained it is this...
The research in Canada and worldwide really is still so new that having test subjects come in and letting the technicians practice is terrific.
They are following a strict protocol on what they are looking for. In me and many others that they have tested they found what they were looking for. The problem now is that they are not sure what to do with the information.

Dr. Steed is working closely with the MS clinic and told me that at this time he doesn't recommend evasive procedures as they are simply not sure of the implications as well as the safety and dangers. He did explain all of this to me and it does make sense.

He believes that with all the research being done that he believes that in a year they will be ready to do something with the information gathered and that from there they will be doing the procedure to expand the arteries and veins.

Dr. Steed is looking for more test subjects both MS patients and normal healthy people to help build his research. If you are interested you can contact him at Sunridge Diagnostics. 403-568-7676

No comments:

Post a Comment