Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My visit to False Creek - MRI / MRV

As promised here is the second part of the story!

After returning from lunch I was called in to get my IV started in the back room and to change into the very "sexy" blue scrubs!
Once I was in the room for the MRI, I was asked all the regular questions. Have I been in an MRI before, have I had the dye injection before, Am I nervous...

Again the staff were very nice, made extra sure that I was happy and comfortable. If you have ever been in an MRI for 90 minutes...you can appreciate the comfort part!

This is also were they connected me to the dye machine. One look at it and I couldn't help my self...
"That sure does look like the lethal injection set-up!"..."That isn't lethal is it?"
They giggled...was that suppose to make me feel better?

Half way trough the MRI I needed to pee. OMG!!! What to do.. I thought of every thing I could and I was getting to a point were I thought I should just pee! This machine felt different then the others I have been in. It made the hair on my head stand on end at times and it got super hot! I had a light blanket on and I am not supposed to move but I had to try and cool down so I lifted my index finger under the blanket and just that made it feel like 10C cooler! That... Was...Hot!

They warn you that the last few minutes of the MRI... for the MRV they will inject the dye. Some people have said that it makes you feel like you wet yourself. Being that I already needed to pee... that wasn't exactly a problem!
To me this dye went like this.
"OK Natalie, we are going to put the dye in and you will be done and out of the machine in about 2 minutes." (Yes! Finally!)
I felt the cold dye run in the IV on my arm and going up in my arm. Next I felt it and heard it bubble at the back of head going into my neck. Within seconds I had a tingling sensation all over my body and extremities. Almost like every little hair on my body was standing on end!
Then "it" happened.
My very first panic attack!
Have you ever watched a movie were someone is trapped in a car and finding that one corner pocket or air trying to get one last gulp of air? Well that's how I felt but only in my mouth. It felt like my mouth was full of water and I was going to drown. I had to stick my tongue out and slow my breathing down. Once I realised I wasn't having a panic attack and that it was simply the dye making me feel weird I felt better.
All this in 2 minutes!

When I came out of the machine I was out of it. I felt very strange and Donna said I looked like death. I felt it!

Tomorrow... the results are in.. Tell me what you think...any guesses?

No comments:

Post a Comment