Thursday, September 24, 2009

Eye is better!

The good news I've been waiting for! Yesterday I had a follow up with Dr. Costello re: my vision.

She was very pleased to see the progress I've made and did tell me that it can take up to a year to get everything back to normal.

I am not longer colour blind in the left eye!!!

She also explained that ON (optical neuritis) is not likely to happen again however sometimes it does. The explanation for what happened goes like this.

Remember when I told you the damage that occurs in MS patients is in the Myelin and that it surrounds the nerves. Well what happens in ON is that the Myelin gets damaged and causes the "electrical short" that brings the information to my brain.

Having my vision back is obviously telling me that the Myelin was repaired. In the early stages of MS it can repair itself. Eventually what happens is the body gets older and then simply can't keep up with the demands of repair which then leads to more serious cases of MS. The Copaxone has been proven to lengthen a patients life and even help prevent the course of MS to worsen over time.

All clear with my left eye!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment