Saturday, August 15, 2009

Numbness

I have been asked many times to describe what the numbness in my legs feel like.

I have also been told that you hate to ask of feel uncomfortable doing so. My answer to that is "by all means, ask...how else will you know!"

The numbness is my legs and feet is diffrent every day.

Some days - I thought I was going into remision - only a few toes feel numb other days I can be numb all the way up to my rib cage.

The only way I can describe for you to understand is to give examples so here they are!

With my feet the feeling is like walking on a small chunk of snow when you come in the house in winter. You take your boots off get the snow off and take a step. You know you just walked on snow but your sock isn't wet yet. You feel that lump and move your foot. Well for me I have that feeling all the time (for the most part) just before the sock gets wet. My feet are numb, I can feel them, they just feel funny. If I walk on somehting it feels like that snow!

I am more clumbsy then I used to be and this is mostly because my legs are numb and I loose balance a bit.

With my legs it varies again just like any symptoms of MS. A month ago my legs where so numb that I couldn't feel touch. I could walk fine but I did not want to be touched. I could see Grace climbing up my legs or Mark resting his hand on my lap in the car but couldn't feel it. To me this was very disturbing!

I dread winter a little bit too. The few days this summer that it's been colder I've worn pants. They make my legs tingle. The same for shoes. I have trried wearing closed shoes but they make me ache and they feel so strange. I love my flips right now. I need a wall to put them on because my toes aren't feeling where the thong is but otherwise they do not touch me!!!

Being numb like that makes your balance a little bit funny because you think you are walking straight or that you can walk on that towel on the floor and stay upright but since your feet aren't able to sense if they are flat on the ground or not you kind of go off kilter!

So there you have it! Numbness 101!

No comments:

Post a Comment